How to Grow Brassica Greens with the Jang Seeder
Growing Brassica Greens with the Jang Seeder
Brassicas are an easy crop to grow with the Jang.
Follow the steps below to get started and grow a great crop!
The Jang seeder is the classic market garden seeder.
It has become an industry standard for market farmers all around the world due to its ability to perform well in all soil conditions for a wide variety of crops.
The many available rollers for the JP1 enable it to plant seeds as small as carrots and arugula or as large as peas and corn.
The JP1 is made in South Korea and its quality is second to none. The heavy-duty construction will keep it going year after year, unlike cheap Chinese knockoffs.
If cared for and properly maintained the JP1 will last a lifetime and likely be the only single-row seeder you ever need to buy.
The Specifications for Planting Brassica Greens with the Jang
|Jang Seeder||JP5 or JP1||JP5 or JP1|
|Gear Ratio||14 Front x 9 Rear||14 Front x 9 Rear|
|Seed/100' Bed||315g (+/-)|
- Red Russian and KX-1 Kale, Elegance and Ovation Mix, Tatsoi, and Mizuna
Days to Maturity:
- 21 days (+/-)
Target Crop Yield:
- Average: 45 lbs. per 100’ x 30” bed (2 cuttings)
- JP5 or JP1 (JP5 recommended)
- Tilther or Power Harrow
- Bed prep rake
- Flame weeder
- Row cover or insect netting (depending on the season)
- Flex tine weeder
- Quick Cut Greens Harvester (or harvest knife if preferred)
- If the bed is established, baby brassica greens will not require the bed to be broadforked.
- Smooth and shape the bed with a bed prep rake, removing any debris
- If the previous crop was fertilized, baby brasssica greens will do fine without reapplication.
- If not, here are two options:
- 1) Layer on 1” of compost, enough to mostly cover the native soil.
- 2) Sprinkle on a combination of alfalfa meal and/or pelleted chicken manure.
- If layering compost, do not tilth in hopes of smothering any surface weed seed.
- If adding amendments, tilth the top 1” of soil to mix in amendments.
- Irrigate for 10-14 days*, allowing any weed seed in top layer of soil to germinate.
- Flame weed the bed when the cotyledons of the weed seeds have emerged.
- Set up the Jang seeder: LJ-24 or F24 roller, gears 14 front and 9 rear, brush down.
- For the JP1, roll out each of the 10 rows evenly spaced across the bed.
- For the JP5, the bed can be seeded in two passes with 10 perfectly spaced rows.
Seeding with the Jang Seeder
- Water the beds with overhead irrigation. This will chase away any pre existing flea beetles on the soil.
- After the first watering, IMMEDIATELY cover the beds with floating row cover (or insect netting in the warm season). The cover will only come off for cultivation and harvest times. Weigh down the edges with sand bags every 5 feet. This ensures flea beetles will never have a chance to damage the greens.
- For all subsequent irrigation, water directly over top of the row cover or insect netting, which rests directly on the crop.
- More frequent, yet shallow waterings will support rapid growth and better flavor.
- It is important to water throughout hot days during the warm season.
- 10 days after direct seeding, cultivate using a flex tine weeder (2 passes per bed).
- Repeat this process again after another 5 days.
- Make sure to return row cover immediately after cultivation to keep away pests.
- Target size for harvest is a 3-5” leaf with no more than 1” of stem.
- Approximately 21 days to harvest (depending on season)
- The JP5 seeder works well with the Quick Cut Greens Harvester. One pass along each side of the bed effectively cuts 5 rows of greens at a time.
- Keep the blades sharp, and make sure the harvester stays out of the dirt.
- Gently rake the bed clean after the first cutting to ensure a cleaner second cutting.
- Agitate the greens by hand (or use a bubbler) for no more than 4 minutes in the wash tube, while scanning for debris, bugs, or damaged greens.
- After drying and bagging (usually in 1/2lb or 1lb bags), store the greens in a refrigerated space.
- Attempt to sell baby brassica greens within 3 days of harvest for highest quality.
Washing and Packing
*All dates can vary based on local climate and soil conditions and time of year.
The Jang Seeder makes seeding in field extremely easy. It’s the only seeder you will ever need.
The Jang has become an industry standard for market farmers around the world due to its ability to perform well in all soil conditions for a wide variety of crops.
It is extremely accurate and precise allowing you to control seed spacings down to one-half inch.
Get started with the Jang on your farm and download the Growers Notes below.