The JP5 Complete Kit was put together to enable you to plant the most common market garden crops with the fewest possible rollers. Everything you need to seed loose-leaf greens and root crops is included.
The kit includes the Jang JP5 seeder with narrow shoes and 20 total rollers: 5 -F24, 5 -LJ24, 5 – X24, and 5 -Y24.
It’s all included in one kit – you won’t have to order anything else!
WHO IS THE JANG JP5 FOR?
The JP5 is intended for growers who are planting a lot of high-density crops with long beds.
If you’re planting multi-row crops on 100′ or longer beds, this tool will eliminate a lot of time walking up and down your beds.
The JP5 provides speed and accuracy, and you don’t need a perfect bed in order to get the accuracy. Unlike Johnny’s 4 point and 6 point seeders, the JP5 can operate in less-than-ideal soil conditions. This becomes a huge time saver over the course of a season.
The JP5 also pairs very well with the Quick Cut Greens Harvester (QCGH), because its planting pattern is 13” across; you can leave 1” or more between passes and the QCGH will cut perfectly within the planting pattern, giving you a clean harvest from edge to edge.
- X24: typically used for arugula and carrots with 6-10 rows on a 30″ bed.
- F24: typically used for radish, lettuce, and other greens, with 6-10 rows on a 30” bed.
- Y24: typically used for salad turnips with 6 rows on a 30″ bed.
- LJ24: typically used for larger seeds like spinach or cilantro with 10 rows per 30″ bed.
Since the JP5 requires 5 rollers at a time, we have included a select set of rollers to save you upfront costs while still giving you maximum crop diversity. Simple sprocket changes allow you to use the included rollers in a variety of ways.
SEEDING CHART FOR THE JP5
Below is a chart detailing the gear ratios and rollers needed to plant the most common market garden crops with the JP5.
There are four variables to adjust when operating the JP5: the rollers, the sprockets, the number of rows per 30-inch bed, and the hopper brush*, which is the little brush inside of the hopper that controls the amount of seed flowing from the roller.
*When adjusting the hopper brush, we suggest only setting it all the way down.
The seeding chart was developed in partnership with Erich Shultz of Steadfast Farm.
MORE ABOUT THE JANG JP5
The JP5 gives you the ability to accurately and quickly seed five rows at a time.
It takes everything great about the single-row JP1 and makes it better and five times faster!
Out of the box, it comes with five complete row assemblies and hoppers giving you a versatile multi-row seeder that is perfect for high-density crops like salad greens and baby root vegetables.
With the JP5 you can quickly plant up to 10 rows with just two passes on a 30″ bed.
Other combinations are possible. Six rows can be just as easily planted by taking out two hoppers. We have found that most crop combinations for baby root veggies and leafy greens can be achieved with either 6 or 10 rows.
There are a wide variety of rollers available for the JP5 enabling it to plant seeds as small as carrots and arugula or as large as peas and corn.
Jang seeders have become the industry standard for market farmers around the world due to their ability to perform well in all soil conditions and for a wide variety of crops.
The JP5 is made in South Korea and its quality is second to none. The heavy-duty construction will keep it going year after year, unlike cheap Chinese knockoffs. If cared for and properly maintained the JP5 will last a lifetime and will likely be the only single-row seeder that you ever need to buy.
- Plant up to 5 rows covering 13″ in width in a single pass saving you a lot of time
- Plant multiple rows in perfect parallel alignment making future cultivation easier
- Unlimited optionality – fill as few or as many seed hoppers as you need to get the perfect row configuration
- Extremely high-accuracy seeding in most soil conditions
- Unlimited seed spacing options – change rollers and gear ratios to get the perfect in-row spacing for your crop
- Singulate seeds – from small to large seeds the JP5 gives you the ability to plant a single seed or as many as needed
- Quick-release hopper makes changing rollers and pouring out seed easy and fast
- A covered hopper means you can plant in the rain without ruining seed
- Adjustable handle for height
- Handle push bar slides from side to side so you can seed comfortably from either side of the bed
- Changeable gears for adjusting seed density in-row
- Clear plastic hopper to view seed level
- Hopper volume = 0.26 gal
- Includes interchangeable sprockets #: 9, 10, 11 (2), 13, 14
- Narrow shoes (1/2″ wide versus standard 1- 3/8″ wide) to help reduce soil drag, plowing of soil, and excess buildup of soil between each of the five shoes.
The Jang JP5 ships from a third-party shipper; when you receive your Jang JP5, the only assembly required is to place the handle onto the main body.