How to Grow Salad Turnips with the Jang Seeder
Salad Turnips with the Jang Seeder
Salad Turnips are an easy crop to grow with the Jang Seeder.
Follow the steps below to get started and grow a great crop!
The Jang seeder is the classic market garden seeder.
It has become an industry standard for market farmers all around the world due to its ability to perform well in all soil conditions for a wide variety of crops.
The many available rollers for the JP1 enable it to plant seeds as small as carrots and arugula or as large as peas and corn.
The Jang Seeder is made in South Korea and its quality is second to none. The heavy-duty construction will keep it going year after year.
If cared for and properly maintained, Jang Seeders will last a lifetime, likely be the only seeder you ever need to buy.
The Specifications for Planting Salad Turnips with the Jang
|Jang Seeder||JP5 or JP1|
|Gear Ratio||14 Front x 10 Rear|
|Seed/100' Bed||15g (+/-)|
Days to Maturity:
- 35 days (+/-)
Target Crop Yield:
- 220 bunches (+/-) per 100’ bed, 8-10 turnips per bunch
- JP5 or JP1 (JP5 recommended)
- Tilther or Power Harrow
- Bed prep rake
- Flame weeder
- Row cover or insect netting (depending on the season)
- Flex tine weeder
- Broadfork the bed to aerate and loosen the soil.
- Smooth and shape the bed with a bed prep rake, removing any debris.
- If the previous crop was fertilized, salad turnips will do fine without reapplication. If not, here are two options:
1) Layer on 1” of compost, enough to mostly cover the native soil
2) Sprinkle on a combination of alfalfa meal and/or pelleted chicken manure
- If layering compost, do not tilth in hopes of smothering any surface weed seed.
- If adding amendments, tilth the top 1” of soil to mix in amendments.
- Irrigate for 10-14 days*, allowing any weed seed in top layer of soil to germinate.
- Flame weed the bed when the cotyledons of the weed seeds have emerged.
- Set up the Jang seeder: Y24 roller, gears 14 front and 10 rear, brush down.
- For the JP1, roll out each of the six rows evenly spaced across the bed.
- For the JP5, only fill hoppers 1, 3, and 5 with seed.
- The bed can then be seeded in two passes with 6 perfectly spaced rows.
Seeding with the Jang Seeder
- Water the beds with overhead irrigation, or four rows of drip. This will chase away any pre existing flea beetles on the soil.
- After the first watering, IMMEDIATELY cover the beds with floating row cover (or insect netting in the warm season). The cover will only come off for cultivation and harvest times. Weigh down the edges with sand bags every 5 feet. This ensures flea beetles will never have a chance to damage the greens.
- It is important to water throughout hot days during the warm season.
- 14 days after direct seeding, cultivate using a flex tine weeder (2 passes per bed).
- Subsequent cultivation should not be needed as canopy of greens should suppress further weed growth.
- Make sure to return row cover immediately after cultivation to keep away pests.
- Salad turnips should be bunched in the field in the kneeling position.
- Approximately 8 turnips per bunch, with a target size of 1.5-2” per turnip.
- Pile the bunches in the paths, and collect all piles in your harvest tote at the end.
- Using a Washdown Gun sprayer over a root wash table, spray each bunch while rotating until all soil is thoroughly cleaned off.
- Store salad turnips in a refrigerated space inside a plastic bag or tote to maintain moisture and crispness until going to market.
Washing and Packing
*All dates can vary based on local climate and soil conditions and time of year.
The Jang Seeder makes seeding in field extremely easy. It’s the only seeder you will ever need.
The Jang has become an industry standard for market farmers around the world due to its ability to perform well in all soil conditions for a wide variety of crops.
It is extremely accurate and precise allowing you to control seed spacings down to one-half inch.
Get started with the Jang on your farm and download the Growers Notes below.
INTERESTED IN PURCHASING A JANG SEEDER?
If you have any questions, please reach out firstname.lastname@example.org or 877.850.1555.