The Profitable Mini-Farm is a new series hosted by Diego Footer and Jodi Roebuck to take a deep dive into the technicalities of farming—from designing your farm’s layout to crop planning to treating your soil.
In this episode of The Profitable Mini Farm, Jodi and Diego break down the Jang Seeder. They talk about why a market garden would consider using a Jang Seeder, some efficiency tips and tricks for using the tool, as well as some common mistakes that are easily avoidable when using the seeder.
Today’s Guest: Jodi Roebuck
Jodi Roebuck is the main farmer behind Roebuck Farm and is a John Jeavons alumnus. He has been teaching sustainable bio-intensive growing techniques all over the world for over 20 years with the aim of creating sustainable food systems while bridging the gap between farmers and consumers.
In this episode of Farm Small, Farm Smart
- Diego introduces the episode on direct seeding crops with the Jang Seeder (00:08)
- Check out Jang Seeder models from Paperpot Co.! (00:46)
- Primary direct seeding tools that market gardeners use (01:38)
- Jodi Roebuck’s experience using the four-row and six-row seeders (02:06)
- Roebuck Farm: why have both a Jang JP-1 and Jang JP-5 seeders? (07:31)
- Considerations before going from a Jang JP-1 to a Jang JP-5 (10:45)
- The versatility of the Jang JP-5 seeder (13:43)
- Increased efficiency with dedicated Jang rollers and hoppers for specific crops (15:23)
- Eliminating chances for miscommunication and human error (18:32)
- Calibrating the Jang Seeder guide plate (28:38)
- Affecting the Jang Seeder’s precision by adjusting the seed brush (30:59)
- Seeding raw (non-pelleted) seed with the Jang Seeder (35:05)
- Optimizing seeding procedures based on harvest data (37:22)
- Removing focus away from seed singulation and adapting (41:18)
- Adjustments to accommodate different seed sizes for consistent spacing (44:25)
- Direct seeding different crops at five, six, and ten rows (47:32)
- Average in-row spacing for direct-seeded crops (51:24)
- Two ways to adjust seed distances (55:20)
- Roebuck Farm’s Jang seed rollers for specific crops (56:30)
- Tips and tricks for using the Jang Seeder (59:50)
Subscribe to Farm Small Farm Smart in your favorite podcast player:
Anything specific You want to hear? Reach Out!