Listen to more episodes of Farm Small Farm Smart
Defensive Rotation for Pests
- If a crop has pest issues, get that crop off of that plot and get it somewhere else.
When pests are spotted:
- Immediately identify the issue.
- Then find out if it’s affecting other crops.
- Then start planting a new succession of that crop at another plot.
- If you know that certain plots get hit by certain pests, then stop planting that crop there. This could be always or seasonal.
Setting First Year Expectations
- Look at your few first years as though you are going to school to learn something.
- Try to give yourself a bit of a financial buffer for the first year.
- Be realistic with your first year expectations. Don’t get overconfident at the risk of log term gain.
- Expect to make a third (or relatively low number) of your ultimate goal the first year.
- Work to learn, not to earn. It isn’t one year or bust.
Learn More from Curtis Stone:
Listen to The Urban Farmer audiobook