A Recap of 2015 Farm Production at Green City Acres
- Curtis farmed 5 different plots giving him a total of 15,000sq.ft (1/3 Acre) to farm on.
- He produced 17,500lbs of total product.
- He produced 23 different products (individual products and mixes included).
- Biggest Crops by Sales Dollars:
- 1. Spring Mix – $22,000
- 2. Tomatoes – $11,000
- 3. Arugala
- 4. Salad Turnips
- 5. Radishes
- Those crops made up over half of the farm production in dollars.
- Biggest Crops by Weight:
- 1. Tomatoes – 3000lbs.
- 2. Radishes – 2600lbs.
- 3. Spring Mix – 2500lbs.
- 4. Salad Turnips – 2000lbs.
- 5. Carrots – 1000lbs.
Lessons learned in the 2015 farm season
- Make sure that you find reliable and trustworthy seed sources.
- The top 5 crops make up over half of the farm’s production in terms of sales. Focus on what works.
- The smaller your farm is the higher your output per square foot goes.
- For a lot of crops it’s not what you have, it’s when you have it. Prices fluctuate during the seeason based on supply.
- Curtis focuses on what works and moves the needle.
- On the farm look at the Total Gross Sales of a Product divided by the Total Beds of that Product. That gives you the output per bed. It standardizes the numbers across all crops give you something to compare with.
- Look at that list, sort it, and ask yourself if you can do more of what works and eliminate what doesn’t.
- For the winners if there is more demand, increase production.
- For the crops that did OK. Look at where you can improve. Was there an issues or issues that can be fixed?
Learn More from Curtis Stone: